Here’s the list of goodies that I used, which varied a bit from the original recipe.
- 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 tsp butter
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 diced onion
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- Salt, pepper, and garlic powder for seasoning the chicken
- 3/4 cup of Chardonnay wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tbsp corn starch
Here are the modifications I made, along with a few suggestions:
- You can reduce the cooking time in the Instant Pot for boneless skinless chicken thighs to 6 minutes. I’ve found that to be about optimal (at least for my taste). If they’re frozen, of course, you’ll need to cook them longer.
- I used a Chardonnay rather than the Marsala wine, since I didn’t have any of the latter. So, technically it’s not exactly Chicken Marsala, but it was close enough to get the drool going.
- Do yourself a huge favor and deglaze the pot with some of the wine. Scrape up all those yummy brown bits stuck to the bottom after you’ve sautéed the chicken. These are Bits of Flavor Awesomeness!. This will also keep you from potentially getting the “Burn” error on the Instant Pot.
- Please, please, please don’t skip the step where you sauté the chicken in oil and butter! This adds so much to the flavor and will make your Chicken Marsala, and thus your kitchen, smell SO good. It’s worth the extra time to do it, and the noses of your neighbors will be so incredibly jealous! Just FYI, I typically use extra virgin olive oil for almost all my cooking.
- We just had vegetables as a side, as we try not to overdo on carbs. But this dish just cries out for something to wipe the plate clean. Next time we’ll have a well toasted hunk of baguette with butter and garlic and soak up that yummy sauce. Screw the carbs! It’s just a crime to let a single drop of this Chicken Marsala sauce go to waste. The extra time on the treadmill will be worth it. Trust me!